I’m not a big sweet eater anymore. It has nothing to do with discipline or self-control. It just happened. Especially chocolate. I was a fanatic about chocolate, but these days, other flavors have more appeal.
I can’t eat a lot of sugar anyhow. My blood sugar and I made a deal. I lay off the heavy sugar fixes and it won’t make me sick. It’s pretty basic. I know if I eat more than a little of anything sugary, I will pay and I won’t like the terms. It’s enough to make me think twice.
I can eat a little, more in the morning. It sits better early (rather than late) in the day. I’m sure there’s a reason for that, but don’t know what it might be. In compensation, I spend an inordinate amount of time planning to bake. But I don’t. I also plan to buy sweeties but inevitably forget to put them in the cart. If I bake or buy, I eat and grow fat. Which brings me to the next issue.
I’m watching my weight. Mainly, I’m watching it rise. I know for a fact (popular diet mythology notwithstanding) plans and intentions don’t make one fat. You have to really eat the stuff. Sniffing it, being near it, looking at and longing for it — all free. Despite my best efforts, I’ve been putting on weight slowly but steadily for a few years, ever since the drugs I took following breast cancer killed my metabolism. After the surgery and the drugs, my body changed. I eat the same — same stuff, same amounts — as I did before. It kept me thin for a long time, but now, not.
I made peace with my rounded self. I can’t eat much less. The injustice of it keeps hitting me. If I’m going to grow round anyhow, shouldn’t I get to have an orgiastic eating experience?
In lieu of other sweets, I eat fruit. With or without Splenda, depending on season and fruit. This time of year, the only good fruit we get is citrus. Grapefruit and oranges. I eat a lot of them. Fortunately, I love fruit. And vegetables.
My non-standard digestive system doesn’t like this stuff nearly as much as my mouth does, so I have to be careful. Moderation. I keep it down to two pieces of citrus and one order of veggies per day. That same picky system also doesn’t care much for carbs. It’s okay with modest quantities of rice and potatoes, is intolerant of pasta and bread. I can eat some. One slice of bread. A few forks of pasta. More gets dodgy.
Beverages? Nothing with sugar. Make me sick. Fast.
In self-defense, I’ve learned to enjoy a little bit of whatever I want. A tiny amount of jam on an English muffin. A dribble of syrup on a waffle. A half a cookie. A bite of cake. If I ate more, it wouldn’t taste better, right? And — I eat desserts ever so slowly. When everyone else has washed the dishes and gone off to watch TV or whatever, I’m still working my way through a dollop of pudding.
Our bodies are forever changing. This is Truth today, but who knows what it will be in a few weeks? Everything changes. If we aren’t dead, we are changing, metamorphosing into whatever we will be. I can handle it.
Well, I think I can. I am definitely going to try.
Pingbacks of the day:
- Not quite but almost “Limericky.” | thoughtsofrkh
- Addiction | Kate Murray
- Something To Remember & The Daily Prompt | The Jittery Goat
- Safest for Me | Daily Prompt: Pour Some Sugar on Me | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: Pour Some Sugar on Me. And Salt at Another Time. | seikaiha’s blah-blah-blah
- DP Daily Prompt: Pour Some Sugar on Me | Sabethville
- Pour some sugar on me: Daily Prompt | ALIEN AURA’S BlOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- Daily Prompt: Pour Some Sugar on Me | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- Surprise pudding | Sue’s Trifles
- My Little Bag of Heaven! | B.Kaotic
- Daily Prompt: Pour Some Sugar on Me, 15.03.14 | Markie’s Daily Blog
- Blue Magic Can | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- Innocence Insults My Intelligence | Bumblepuppies
- Daily Prompt: Pour Some Sugar on Me | trioldman
- #Making Donuts | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- A Greek Treat | Lifestyle | WANGSGARD
- Daily Prompt: Put Some Sugar On Me- Psychological Perspective of Disease | Journeyman
- Daily Prompt: Pour Some Sugar on Me | Awl and Scribe
- Daily Prompt: Being Sweet! | All Things Cute and Beautiful
- Pour Some Sugar on Me | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Pour Some Sugar on Me | Knowledge Addiction
- De-constructed Bounty… | Steve Says…
- AB + CC = D | mamangerie
- Here is to my mom’s honey buns sugaring it up in the grand old sky! « psychologistmimi
- An Ode to Frozen Yogurt | Never Stationary
- In Good Company | 4 The Sensitive
- Sweet, Sweet Sugar | Step Into My Head
- Saltine Cracker Bark | The Pinterested Parent
- sweet thing yummy yummy | eastelmhurst.a.go.go
- Daily Prompt: Pour Some Sugar on Me | My Extraordinary Everyday Life
- Food Food Food | Life Confusions
- Delivered By Ferry | Exploratorius
- The Sweetest Taste | Finale to an Entrance
- Pour Some Sugar on Me | dandelionsinwind
- Goodbye Sugar | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Pour Some Sugar Over Me | CHRONICLES OF AN ANGLO SWISS