ODDBALLS IN THE LATE AUTUMN

Cee’s Odd Ball Photo Challenge: 2016 Week 44

I really am having trouble figuring out what’s an oddball and what’s art. I’m beginning to doubt there’s a difference. One person’s oddball is someone else’s artwork. So, given that I’m confused but always game for a challenge …

Ambrotype Chrysthemums
Ambrotype chrysanthemums
A back street in town.
A back street in town.
Symphony Hall near Christmas
Symphony Hall near Christmas
Looking into the woods from the open teepee door.
Looking into the woods from the open teepee door.

cob-banner-oddball

19 thoughts on “ODDBALLS IN THE LATE AUTUMN

1. lifelessons November 6, 2016 / 12:10 am

I LOVE the shot of the mums. Intriguing colors…

• Marilyn Armstrong November 6, 2016 / 12:13 am

It’s called an ambrotype. Instead of black and white, it’s dark (amber) yellow and black. These were really popular in the early part of the 20th century.

• lifelessons November 6, 2016 / 8:10 am

So that wasn’t a filter you used? That is the actual color of the flowers? Amazing.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 6, 2016 / 12:18 pm

No, the flowers are a lot bright and yes, it’s a filter, part of the black and white set. it’s a toning filter. You do real ambrotyping anymore, not unless you have a very expensive dark room and mix your own chemicals and have the right kind of glass. The real ambrotypes were gorgeous. They did, back then, a lot of photo printing on glass. Silver on glass was very popular, but the glass prints mostly fell apart with time. Even protected, they were thin and fragile and time had its way with them.

• lifelessons November 6, 2016 / 2:36 pm

Have you read “The Museum of Extraordinary Things” by Alic Hoffman? One of the major characters is a photographer who talks about the process but I think they called them something else.

• lifelessons November 6, 2016 / 8:11 am

Ah… or I see this differently now. You’re saying the mums were black and white and the ambrotype was a photographic process! Duh.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 6, 2016 / 9:40 am

This process originally was printed on glass. Not many originals survived. Now, it’s all software.

• lifelessons November 6, 2016 / 9:57 am

Is there a makeup app that automatically puts on facial makup with filters for “business appointment, seduction, illness ( to send your boss on days playing ill), daylight, nighttime, remove 10 years, remove 20 years?)

• Marilyn Armstrong November 6, 2016 / 4:00 pm

When my friend Cherrie and I were working at Doubleday — long long time ago — we invented “I’m sick” makeup. It involved the clever use of reverse colors. Green shadow under the eyes, for example. Who knew we could have patented it 🙂 I should have known there’d be a market. It’s all about marketing.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 6, 2016 / 12:19 pm

The mums were white. The big ones you get from the florist, not the smaller ones you grow in your garden.

2. slmret November 6, 2016 / 12:26 am

The last shot is intriguing — is it part of your teepee?

• Marilyn Armstrong November 6, 2016 / 12:38 am

Yes. That was taken the day it went up. Before I had a floor or anything inside. That’s the door. You can see a bit of the painting on the door. Hard to believe it was 8 years ago.

3. Covert Novelist November 6, 2016 / 1:06 am

It’s interesting, I will say that. I enjoyed your pictures a usual. The TeePee is remarkable. I have friends who have one in their front yard. Love that shot!

4. angloswiss November 6, 2016 / 2:21 am

I read the teepee last year some time and enjoyed it very much. There were parts that really amused me – think I wrote you a mail about it afterwards but old ladies forget stuff so quickly. Like your photos. I am not always sure what exactly qualifies an Oddball. Something strange, something different or just something you do not know what to do with. Anyhow I like the challenge, gives me a run for my humour.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 6, 2016 / 12:24 pm

I’m pretty sure odd is whatever you think it is. I’ve given up trying to figure it out. I now include anything that doesn’t seem to be something else.

I have hundreds of pictures of my teepee from sanding the poles, to its first day as a teepee, to it’s final days. It’s gone two years. I’m glad I took so many pictures. I even took some video of it. A teepee is really just sticks and canvas. It has a lifespan of 5 to 7 years, less usually, if you leave it up year round as I did. Mine lasted seven years. I fought to keep it alive, but finally, nature took it’s course. It was no longer usable for people, though many creatures, including the local bobcat, though it made a pretty nice house 🙂

5. Cee Neuner November 6, 2016 / 9:07 am

My favorite photo this week is your teepee. 😀

• Marilyn Armstrong November 6, 2016 / 12:25 pm

Thanks Cee. You would have loved it. It was the most peaceful, relaxing place to be. I always felt good in the teepee.

6. swo8 November 6, 2016 / 2:58 pm

Odd ball but very artistic to me.

• Marilyn Armstrong November 6, 2016 / 3:44 pm

I’ve decided that you can be odd and artistic 🙂 Otherwise, this would be the ugly photo challenge. Odd, but still good photographs, or as good as we can do.