SHARING MY WORLD – MIDDLE OF MAY

Share Your World – May 15, 2017

How many languages do you speak?

One and two halves. I used to sort of speak Hebrew, but now I can only understand it when someone else speaks it. I used to read French well enough to get through the entire Victor Hugo’s 1862 novel “Les Misérables.”

Columbine

I never really spoke French, though I could read it. I tried to get to France which I was sure would have improved my speaking skills, but alas, it was not to be. So mostly, unless I’m listening to a French song, or watching a movie in French, it’s English. All English, all the time.

What are you reading, watching, listening to, eating?

I’m reading Richard Kadrey’s “The Wrong Dead Guy” in the living room, but in the bedroom, I’m reading “Open and Shut” which is a courtroom and crime story … with dogs. I have “Astrophysics for People in a Hurry” by Neil deGrasse Tyson and Terry Pratchett’s “Wintersmith” waiting in the wings. I am always reading at least one and typically two books. Since I started playing games too, I’m running a little behind on the reading, but that’s okay.

As for watching, we watched “Steve Jobs” — the movie — last night. We just finished up a British series called “Pie in the Sky” with Richard Griffith who was a chef (with a restaurant) and a cop (awaiting retirement). We haven’t settled on a new series yet. We tried out “Father Ted” Priest-detective, but so far, it hasn’t quite taken yet. Really, we are waiting with bated breath for the return of “House of Cards” at the end of the month.

We are also watching baseball, though the Sox are pretty mediocre so far, but the Celtics (basketball) just made the semi-finals, making them this year’s over-achievers. No one thought they would get this far. And we have a bunch of movies to be watched, most of them new. And we always watch “The Daily Show” and Colbert at night. Because we need a good laugh.

What was the last photo you took with your phone?

I don’t take photos on my phone. The only time I took them was when we were in Boston a year ago this month. I’m not a fan of telephotography.

What is your favorite time of day?

Sunrise. If I’m awake.

Sunset, when possible!

Photo: Garry Armstrong

16 thoughts on “SHARING MY WORLD – MIDDLE OF MAY

1. angloswiss May 19, 2017 / 12:31 am

I cannot read more than one book at the same time. I can only concentrate on one story line. Mr. Swiss watches all the TV series, but I have lost interest in them. He is watching a new Fargo at the moment. If he is not home for some reason in the evening, which is very rare, I don’t even bother with the TV.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 19, 2017 / 12:40 am

I don’t watch TV when Garry isn’t home, except for the late night stuff. Otherwise, i read. Or write. And I more often then not, listen rather than read.

2. Covert Novelist May 19, 2017 / 2:45 am

Those sunrise sunset pics are captivating. I loved the flower also.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 19, 2017 / 3:58 pm

Sunrise and sunset pictures are always great. My problem is just finding a way to see them since I’m surrounded by trees and usually can’t see the sky!

3. Cee Neuner May 19, 2017 / 11:41 am

Your sunrise photos are gorgeous Marilyn. I’m generally not a fan of cell phones, but then we are spoiled having good cameras and the talent or knowledge to use them. 😀

• Marilyn Armstrong May 19, 2017 / 4:00 pm

I don’t like cell phone pictures because to me, a camera has a feel to it and a phone doesn’t feel anything like a camera. I’ve taken a few shots with it, usually because it was the only thing i had, but I prefer not. Especially since I have so many cameras in the house, it seems like I should at least use one of my own cameras!

4. swo8 May 19, 2017 / 4:11 pm

Those sunsets are amazing.
    So for languages, English, French, German a smattering of Spanish, Portuguese and Mandarin. When we were driving in Israel I was beginning to pick up the written language from the road signs.

• swo8 May 19, 2017 / 5:32 pm

You can’t agonize over the grammar nor can you be afraid of making a mistake. That helps a lot.

• swo8 May 19, 2017 / 7:18 pm

There is a music to language. You do have to pick up on it.

• Marilyn Armstrong May 19, 2017 / 6:51 pm

I originally thought there must be a difference, but I’ve checked around and apparently not. It’s the angle of the sun to the earth … and what’s in the air. I think sunsets last longer.