WEATHERED AND WORN

WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge – WEATHERED

I resisted putting up a picture of me first thing in the morning. It was tempting, but I finally decided to take a pass on that. Weathered and wood resonate for me.

Be there a photographer so dead that he or she had not sought out aging wood barns and homes for great pictures and when that fails, there’s always rust and rot.

An old dodge pickup

Why do we photograph old stuff with such enthusiasm? The simple answer is it’s more interesting. The textures and colors are unique. The texture alone would do it for me.

Sleek, smooth stuff is shiny and often colorful, but you get a lot of depth with the textures of old materials. Wood, brick, stone, iron … it all works beautiful in the right photograph.

Stone bridge over the river and canal
Old Uxbridge Fire Engine 2

And that’s weathered enough for the day except, of course, we can’t leave out our very own weathered 1924 Fordson tractor, growing ever more weathered in our own garden.

36 thoughts on “WEATHERED AND WORN

1. swo8 January 10, 2018 / 12:42 pm

The bridge looks like it weathered the best out of all of them.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 10, 2018 / 1:20 pm

It’s in pretty good shape. Some of our bridges are so flimsy and rotting, you wonder if driving across them is a good idea. And they do collapse. Recently, they’ve been trying to patch up or replace at least the worst of them, so my heart doesn’t palpitate every time we cross a river. But there are a LOT of very dodgy bridge. THIS one is pretty nice, though!

• swo8 January 10, 2018 / 1:53 pm

It has an endearing charm about it…..

• Marilyn Armstrong January 10, 2018 / 1:56 pm

It’s a very traditional stone bridge river crossing. I don’t know when it went up, but I’m guessing the 1920s, maybe 1930s. You can see these all over New England.

• swo8 January 10, 2018 / 2:03 pm

They’re beauties, Marilyn.

• Garry Armstrong January 11, 2018 / 12:34 pm

So many, many stories reside in those old objects. Just listen and don’t interrupt with stupid questions. LISTEN!

2. angloswiss January 10, 2018 / 1:08 pm

I like the first photo, looks like I feel sometimes.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 10, 2018 / 1:22 pm

It is the town “symbol” for Hadley, a town near the Univ. of Massachusetts. They literally have to prop it up every week or so, otherwise it would be rubble. But the town really loves that hovel. Sort of like us. We keep getting propped up. Again πŸ˜€

3. bwcarey January 10, 2018 / 1:11 pm

old, character, aged wine, tended to by humans, not machines, happy days marilyn

• Garry Armstrong January 11, 2018 / 12:38 pm

“Rust Never Sleeps” PERFECT for a B&W film noir. James Cagney, Dana Andrews, Richard Conte, Richard Widmark, Thelma Ritter and Pat O’Brien as the priest surveying the human debris in the junkyard and garbage cluttered streets with no names.

• bwcarey January 11, 2018 / 1:24 pm

they don’t make them like they used to, I can;t imagine them doing a selfie either, thanks for the comment Garry, blessings

4. Gordon C. Stewart January 10, 2018 / 2:26 pm

I think it that weathered and worn look that leads Elijah (now 7 m0. old) to reach for my face to explore. Love the photos.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 11, 2018 / 11:57 am

I wish I could feel better about my own gradual devolution into ancient pittedness. Oh cruel fate!

• Garry Armstrong January 11, 2018 / 12:40 pm

So many stories of lives unfulfilled…..

5. Aixa January 10, 2018 / 6:54 pm

Great collection πŸ‘ I love the rusted cars but that tractor (?) lost in the growing grass is so interesting

• Marilyn Armstrong January 10, 2018 / 7:04 pm

Thank you. It is our beloved rusty old garden tractor πŸ™‚ My husband gave it to me as a 10th wedding anniversary gift. That man knows his woman!

• Aixa January 10, 2018 / 7:06 pm

πŸ˜‚ ….. πŸ‘

• Garry Armstrong January 11, 2018 / 12:41 pm

Hey, I try!

• Marilyn Armstrong January 11, 2018 / 11:56 am

No matter what else is going on in the world, I always have my rusty tractor to fall back on πŸ™‚

6. Allan G. Smorra January 11, 2018 / 11:50 am

Rusted metal fascinates me. Thanks for the colorful examples this week.
    Ξ©

7. atmtx January 11, 2018 / 5:10 pm

I need to make a good barn picture. I’m not sure we have as many here in Texas.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 11, 2018 / 5:21 pm

That one was built in 1720 but has been restored. Expensively restored. So has the house, built at the same time. I have NO idea how much money they spent on it, but it had to be a lot. The barn is magnificent inside as well as out.

We have a lot of old barns and most of them look their age. Probably you have some wherever they are still farming. Anyone who keeps horses or goats or cows is sure to have a barn — and no one knocks down old barns. They may stop using them as their main out building, but they are always good for hay and grain and storage. Barns are really USEFUL. That’s why there are so many πŸ˜€

• atmtx January 11, 2018 / 5:30 pm

Nothing beats a nice New England barn.

8. Pingback: Weathered and worn