THE CHANGING SEASON – YEAR IV – JANUARY 2018 – GARRY & MARILYN ARMSTRONG

The Changing Seasons, January 2018

Home during the blizzard

It started with three years of host Cardinal Guzman — Max — who did a wonderful job. I’m so glad Su Leslie has taken over. It has been a great deal of fun to follow the seasons through the years, especially in this region where we have four seasons, but in some years, more like six or seven!

Right now, it’s deep winter. Except it has warmed up, the snow has been washed away by two days of pouring rain and today the sun was out and the temperature was up. The climate is changing. You can argue about it all you like, but it is happening anyway. I think it’s more obvious some places than others.

The old tractor

Regardless, January is not much of an outdoor month. It’s cold, frequently snowy, with warm breaks and mud between the storms.

And one birthday party
The Duke
Bonnie and Gibbs

Garry took all of the outdoor  shots in the blizzard. Mine are entirely indoors. I don’t seem to have quite the energy to get “out this and into the weather” these days.

RULES OF THE SEASONS

The Changing Seasons Version One (photographic):

• Each month, post 5-20 photos in a gallery that you feel represent your month
  • Don’t use photos from your archive. Only new shots.
  • Tag your posts with #MonthlyPhotoChallenge and #TheChangingSeasons so that others can find them

The Changing Seasons Version Two (you choose the format):

• Each month, post a photo, recipe, painting, drawing, video, whatever that you feel says something about your month
  • Don’t use archive stuff. Only new material!
  • Tag your posts with #MonthlyPhotoChallenge and #TheChangingSeasons so others can find them.

38 thoughts on “THE CHANGING SEASON – YEAR IV – JANUARY 2018 – GARRY & MARILYN ARMSTRONG

1. swo8 January 26, 2018 / 12:02 pm

Easy for Su Leslie to take over, it’s summer in New Zealand. You’ve done an excellent job, Marilyn.
    I don’t want to go out in the cold either.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 26, 2018 / 12:27 pm

I actually feel guilty about how little photography I’ve done. I just can’t do it. It’s muddy and cold and disgusting out there. I’m hibernating.

• Su Leslie January 26, 2018 / 1:38 pm

Not fair 😂😂 Summer here means 30 degrees Celsius before 10 am and 91% humidity. My brain has turned to warm mush!!!

• swo8 January 26, 2018 / 2:09 pm

But Su, you have the whole out doors and it’s so lovely there.

• Su Leslie January 26, 2018 / 2:32 pm

True; it’s a shame that the moment I step outside it feel like I’m being smothered in a hot damp towel. Where are those sea breezes when I need them?

• Marilyn Armstrong January 26, 2018 / 2:34 pm

It’s either too hot, too cold, too humid or too … something 😀 Right now, it’s just too WINTER. Thanks for supporting this challenge. It’s fun … and it gets me to make sure I take at least a few pictures!

• Su Leslie January 26, 2018 / 2:36 pm

You’re welcome. Hope you get a bit more Spring sunshine to dilute the “too winter”.

• Garry Armstrong January 26, 2018 / 2:23 pm

“My Brain Has Turned to Warm Mush”. Could be a page turner about you know who.

• Su Leslie January 26, 2018 / 2:31 pm

Oh you are so right. Though I am slightly worried. Maybe I should talk to the neighbours about their cats sneaking into my garden instead of demanding the wall 🤔

• Marilyn Armstrong January 26, 2018 / 2:35 pm

Go with the wall. Especially if you can get congress to give you 11 billion dollars. I’ll take the spare change, if you have any money left over.

• Su Leslie January 26, 2018 / 2:40 pm

If I do it myself, I reckon I’ll have change. When I say “myself”I actually mean members of my family who will set up corporations which will actually have nothing to do with them personally, even though they are of course the absolute best, most qualified people to build a wall. Ever. Period. I may even be able to get those nice Russian people up the road to help.

• Garry Armstrong January 26, 2018 / 2:22 pm

I don’t want to out either but somebody’s got to do it.

• swo8 January 26, 2018 / 4:03 pm

It’s going outside when it’s so awful out. I know that Su has periods of bad weather too, but right now she has an advantage.

2. Su Leslie January 26, 2018 / 1:42 pm

Thanks for your kind words Marilyn. These are wonderful images; the colour palette is so perfect for the winter you’re describing. I’m loving the filters and edits you’re dpi go. The birthday party shot is seriously cool. And the fur babies are gorgeous. 😀

• Marilyn Armstrong January 26, 2018 / 2:37 pm

Topaz filters are so much a part of processing these days, I wonder how I managed without them. They keep upgrading them, too. Our fur babies are PERFECT. I asked them this morning and they told me so.

• Su Leslie January 26, 2018 / 2:42 pm

Of course they are. And they would never lie. Perhaps they could run for some high office on a joint ticket. I’m sure they are totally electable.

3. Su Leslie January 26, 2018 / 1:45 pm

Aaaagh. **you’re** Sorry; new tablet; fat fingers. 😀

4. Garry Armstrong January 26, 2018 / 2:26 pm

Duke looks like….DUKE. Like Duke Wayne, in the saddle, framed in an elegant long slow zoom in shot in the opening scene of “Chisum” Elegant!

5. RuthsArc January 29, 2018 / 1:11 am

Love your snow photos, and the blurred family portrait.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 29, 2018 / 1:17 am

I’m always looking for ways to show people but NOT show people at the same time. This is as close as I’ve gotten. So far 😀 Thank you!

6. Heyjude January 31, 2018 / 10:08 am

I love seeing your part of the world. Thank you Garry for the snow photos – I love the old tractor – and that beautiful sketch of the trees. Definitely time to curl up indoors in front of a fire and read books, blog, watch bad movies 😀