BRIGHT PICTURES, LOW LIGHT – AGAINST ODDS

72-still-life-candles-lr-12082016_04

These are two low-light pictures taken with my new f1.4 Leica 25mm lens. So what’s the big deal?

Because for the first time, I had a lens fast enough to shoot pictures in the house, even in dim light. It may not sound like much to you, but it was a big deal for me.

300-night-home-xmas-lights-19122016_052

Against the Odds | Daily Post Weekly Photo Challenge

I participate in WordPress' Weekly Photo Challenge 2017
I participate in WordPress’ Weekly Photo Challenge 2017

19 thoughts on “BRIGHT PICTURES, LOW LIGHT – AGAINST ODDS

1. lifelessons February 16, 2017 / 12:28 am

Wow! Love the first still life study. Amazing. This is just beautiful, Marilyn.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 16, 2017 / 2:47 pm

Sometimes, an internal picture turns out to be really interesting. That was really a test photo for the new lens, but I liked it πŸ™‚ Thanks!!

2. evilsquirrel13 February 16, 2017 / 12:45 am

Nice! My in-house pictures generally look like crap, and I never was able to figure out how to get the flash to work on my newer camera. At least I’ve learned to move the lamp closer to my “stage” when I’m shooting my critter plays unless I want the actors to look like they’ve got a bad case of mold…

• Marilyn Armstrong February 16, 2017 / 3:06 pm

If you have a choice of using a spot meter rather than the regular standard meter, it will solve the problem. I think most cameras let you choose these days, so IF you can figure out where the setting is (and I can’t guarantee it because half the time, I can’t find the settings on my OWN camera!), just point the bright part on the brightest part of the picture and THEN press the shutter. I pretty much won’t use a flash almost ever. I just hate the way it looks. Makes everything flat.

3. slmret February 16, 2017 / 1:02 am

Both beautiful shots — especially so the indoors still-life!

• Covert Novelist February 16, 2017 / 3:25 pm

I loved it, the lighting was perfect and was really enhanced drawing attention to specific. It is astounding how some pictures affect you or simply call to you isn’t it? Sometimes you can’t explain why, it just is! πŸ™‚

• Marilyn Armstrong February 16, 2017 / 3:09 pm

Thank you! This is a good lens for shooting inside. Fast. I was thrilled to get it, even in this case, second hand. So many of my pictures are “in” the house anyway, nice to have a lens that lets me take them brightly πŸ™‚

4. draliman February 16, 2017 / 3:36 am

Good stuff. A flash can ruin a picture sometimes, and completely ruins the mood for shots like this.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 16, 2017 / 3:09 pm

I turn my flash off and use the spot meter. MOST of the time, it works very well. Sometimes not, but usually well.

5. swo8 February 16, 2017 / 10:10 am

The photos are full of reflections and shadows.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 16, 2017 / 3:10 pm

Thanks. That’s what’s so cool about shooting inside. You get all kind of stuff … and there’s so MUCH stuff in the house to shoot.

• Marilyn Armstrong February 16, 2017 / 3:18 pm

I think the ONLY time I take “unintended” pictures is when I’m trying a new lens. The rest of the time, even though it may not come out the way I planned, I have something particular in mind, so it was fun to use pictures that really weren’t “real” pictures πŸ˜€ Thanks, Cee.